1 lb. Great Northern dry white beans - we like Camellia brand
8 cups water
1 medium yellow onion
1 small green bell pepper
2 cloves garlic
2 small carrots
3 bay leaves
3 good dashes Worcestershire sauce
3 good dashes Tabasco sauce
2 tablespoons white vinegar
14 ounces low fat smoked turkey sausage
1 teaspoon Kosher or sea salt
2 tablespoons light butter spread
- Wash the bell pepper. Peel the onion and carrot. Coarsely chop the vegetables into approx. 1/2 inch pieces. Peel and mince the garlic. Slice the sausage into approx. 1/4 inch round slices. Gather all other ingredients.
- Pick through the dry beans to remove any rocks or broken beans. Rinse the beans to remove any dirt.
- Place the rinsed beans in a 6-quart bean pot or other heavy gauge pot. Add the water and place over high heat. Add the chopped vegetables, bay leaf, Tabasco, Worcestershire, salt and white vinegar. Bring to a boil over high heat and then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- After 1 hour, add the smoked sausage and the two tablespoons of butter spread. Continue to simmer over low heat for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring more frequently during the last hour of simmering.
- Check to make sure that the beans are tender. If the beans are too thick, thin with a little water.
Serve with New Orleans style French bread and cooked Jazzmen aromatic rice for a true New Orleans experience!!!